Friday, October 16, 2009

Shake it out

The one style every natural is familiar with is the was n go. I learned of a variation a while back called the shake n go. I've read of it by another name but cannot remember. I'd tried it before but didn't notice a difference.

On Tuesday, I was in the shower detangling a four day old twist out (yes, four days! I was very happy about that.) I detangled and then added a little more of my beloved HEHH and raked it through my hair (it's called the shingling method. just means you apply tons of condish and rake your fingers through you hair. I used to be so confused because people descriptions of it seem so confusing. But I love raking condish through because it really helps with curl definition). I was standing under the water, rinsing away some of the condish and I shook my head. My hair felt really heavy under the running wate. I touched my hair and the curls were so tight and wonderful. I continued to shake under the water for a minute. I turned off the water and shook out at much of the excess water as I could. I did use a towel to blot my hair a very very small amount. I didn't want to rub it across the curls and ruin them but I detest water dripping down my face and neck while I'm trying to dry off.

The shake and go was above awesomeness. The curls were so tight and beautiful. I already have a hard time keeping my hands out of my hair but it was soooo bad that day. I'll definitely be repeating this method with every shake/wash n go that I do.

The successes with my hair these past couple of weeks has made me fall back in love with my hair. Now that I'm attempting styles that my hair is ready to do, I'm not feeling so impatient an irritated. The only bad thing is, my renewed love affair will be ending this weekend. I made an appt to get Senegalese twist on Saturday. (appt made while I was still mad) So this natural is going into winter protective mode. I'll miss my hair but look forward to all the new growth that will await me come spring. I'm hoping that with more hair and the knowledge I've gained of my hair these four short months, that I will have more exciting styles for this upcoming spring. I'm also hoping that with over 16 months worth of hair growth, that this time next year, I won't have to get twist with extension to do protective styles. I should be able to do protective styles with my own hair. Normally, I love winter but I can hardly wait for next spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment