Monday, February 1, 2010

Surprise, surprise

Okay, so you may remember my post on how irritated and disappointed I have been with a friend who was saying negative things about my hair and commenting on how "lucky" white girls are because of their hair texture. She calls me this weekend and announces that she has decided to transition. Apparently, a woman at her job has been natural for a few yrs and after seeing this woman's hair (I believe it was straightened) she has decided to grow out her perm.

She asked her co-worker for help and all she did was send her a link to a hair forum. She only said I just grew out my hair and I joined this forum. I'm thinking...really? That's all the info and encouragement you can give someone who's just starting their journey?

I have to admit, when she first asked me for help, I didn't want to. I was thinking of the stupid shit she's said about my hair and was like eff it, she can learn on her own. But then I thought about it. If I had to go through this alone, I wouldn't have even know what to do or even where to begin. So I agreed to help her as much as I can, including going to the store with her this weekend to help her pick out products. I sent her the links to a few of the sites I love and I'll just be one of the people in her support system as she goes through this transition. Hopefully she'll make it.

I just hope now she stop all that "white girls are lucky" crap and embrace her own hair.

2 comments:

  1. things that make u go hmmmm..... (had to take it back one time). But for real, I admire you for helping her even after all the negative things she had to say about your hair. In my opinion, if you don't like it keep your mouth shut. But keep me posted on it....wonder if it will last. Alot of people want to go natural but don't realize how much work and knowledge is involved in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can honestly say that I'm not sure if she'll make it b/c part of me feels like she's doing it to have hair like the other girl as well as myself. One of the first things she asked me was how to make her hair curly like mine. I had to explain that it's just my curl pattern. She'll find out her own once she's fully natural. She didn't seem too happy abt that response. I'll keep you posted though.

    ReplyDelete