Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Just smack me in the face 6/25/09

I was doing my usual of searching blogs about natural hair. I came across a blog, don't remember name of it, and at the end of post the blogger had a signature. Her signature was a picture of herself holding up a peace sign and under it the quote "two painted fingers." She wore nail polish. I thought it was so cute. Normally when I'm leaving from somewhere, I'll through up the peace sign and say "deuces." Same thing different words. But seeing the chick with her nails painted and the quote, I loved it! That prompted me to want to paint my nails.




I used to have long, very colorful nails. I liked having my nails done but I have grown out of that wild phase. My nails have been growing long and healthy but I decided to cut them since I would be painting them. To me, natural nails that are shorter look better than long when they are painted. So I trimmed my nails Tuesday night and painted them a deep reddish purple color yesterday afternoon. As I'm painting, my mother walks in and I tell her about the blog. She turns up her nose saying, "Uugh, that's not cute." I told her I thought it was and it made me want to paint my nails. She watches me and then looks down at her own nails saying, "You now everyone at work is always saying how pretty and clear my nails are and asking how I got them that way b/c theirs are yellow. I told them it's because I never paint my nails like they do, so mine don't turn color. And I remember your grandmother used to paint her nails all the time. She wore this really ugly dark color and her nails were practically brown. It took years for her nails to get back right."




That's a whole lot of negativity over some nail polish. But I ignored that slap in the face and kept painting my nails. I felt prettier after they were done.

No comments:

Post a Comment